Some thoughts on the 5-fold ministry from Ephesians 4:
• Ephesians 4:7-16 Paul’s teaching on the purpose of 5-fold ministry of apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor and teacher. In verse 7 he says each one is given “measured grace” – a special amount of grace apportioned to fulfill each one’s ministry. These are ascension gifts of grace Christ gave after he ascended into heaven.
• The main purpose of these 5-fold ministry gifts is to perfect, restore and equip God’s people to do the work of the ministry. As they do this, the “grace” and “anointing” they carry will impact those they are ministering to, and activate a measure of that particular “grace gift” in those believers.
• So while for example, every believer may not stand in the 5-fold ministry gift office of the evangelist, his grace and anointing will activate a passion for souls and equip people to evangelize.
• Same is true of the prophet, shepherd and teacher.
• Same is true of the apostle.
• The “apostolic dimension” of a “sent one” can become activated in the lives of believers and churches as they receive revelatory preaching, teaching and impartation from true apostles.
• So a “measure” of many of the various dynamic characteristics of an apostle can actually be “activated” in believers as they receive revelation and impartation from apostles to walk and operate in the “apostolic dimension.”
I call it The Apostolic Advantage!